Letter Of Recommendation
Recommendations: Reinforcing You and Your Application @EDUCATION STREET
When it comes to recommendation letters, one rule you can go by is to approach people, who know you. This is because your letters must have details and shouldn’t be a collection of empty adjectives.
EDUCATION STREET advises:
They may be important people, but if they write just a few generic lines, it doesn’t help you. They must detail your abilities and strengths in different situations and describe your potential as an academic student as well.
Three recommendation letters are normally required and at EDUCATION STREET we strive hard to make them speak volumes about you.
Why do Universities need Letters Of Recommendation?
- Verify your credentials & accomplishments as mentioned in other part of application
- Your personality review from a third person point of view
- Additional information from SOP & essays
- Assessment of your Managerial, Leadership, Team work etc. skills if a professional recommendation
- Assessment of your academic sincerity, extra curricular activities, eagerness to learn etc. qualities if a academic recommendation
Who should you approach?
- Whom you are well acquainted to professionally or academically
- People who would be enthusiastic to promote your candidacy
- In what capacity you know the recommender
How to Approach your Recommenders?
- Talk to them in their free time about your future plans
- If unaware, explain to them what are recommendation letters
- Ask them whether they would do the needful or not. If they cannot write and do not have time can you write the same and will they give it to you printed on the college letterhead or send online?
- If they ready to write themselves provide them with necessary information if they agree like resume, SOP written for admissions, list of accomplishments and topics you would like them to include.
- Tell them in advance about the complete admission process and deadlines
- Don’t involve and intimate them in the last moment of admission (Don’t leave approaching them to the last minute of admission ?)
What constitutes a good Recommendation letter?
The typical parameters for evaluation are usually of 2 kinds:
Personality and Character Based
- Self Confidence
- Self Awareness
- Self Improvement
Intellectual Ability Based
- Quantitative skills
- Intellectual curiosity
- Analytical skills
- Global Awareness
- Creativity & Imagination
- People Skills
- Communications skills
- Interpersonal skills (influence, relationship management)
- Teamwork skills
- Ability to change
- Conflict management
Instructions for LOR:
- The LOR must be printed on the letterhead.
- It must be one pager only (So adjust your college or company header accordingly).
- The LOR should consist Name, Designation, Email ID and Contact No of the recommender.
- LOR page should consist stamp and sign of the recommender
- The envelope in which the LOR would go inside must be stamped, signed (recommender) and sealed.
- There must be one envelope per LOR.
- There must be three stamps along with the sign on the envelope.
- One stamp with sign must be on the mouth of the envelope. (Most important & mandatory).
- The other two stamps and signs can be on either sides of the envelope.
- Xerox/Photocopy is not allowed. (Each university one copy of each recommender).