- Germany is a federalist country, comprised of 16 individual states.
- From the North Sea to the Alps in the south, Germany is a home to people from all around the world who live together in peace-a diverse collection of nationalities and cultures of every kind.
- The weather in Germany is generally quite pleasant.
- The summer months (June to august) are warm with an average temperature of around 20 degrees Celsius and winter (December to February) temperature falls below zero.
- Germany is home to about 80 million people. It is also one of the most densely populated countries in Europe with 229 inhabitants per square kilometer.
- The 5 largest cities are Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt am.
- Approximately one-fifth of Germany’s population is of immigrant descent-15 million people altogether.
- Germany has a long tradition of science and research.
- With 125 million native speakers, German is one of the most important languages in the world.
Study in Germany
German universities enjoy an outstanding reputation throughout the world. Germany boasts over 80 Nobel Prize winners, almost 70 of whom are scientist from the field of chemistry, physics and medicine. The German university system is very diverse. The majority of universities in Germany are subsidized by the state. There are more than 16000 degree programmes combined at German Universities for all levels of study-under graduate and graduate programmes alike. You can receive internationally recognized bachelors and/or master’s degree and naturally, you can continue studying and earn your PhD.
German is one of the most popular countries among students abroad. Currently there are more than 260,000 international students enrolled at German Universities. With 125 million native speakers, German is one of the most important languages in the world.
There are mainly two types of institutions of higher education in Germany:
Universities of Technology(TU) which are research based and can award you Doctorate degree
Universities of Applied Sciences which are practice oriented and offer courses mainly in engineering, business administration, social sciences and design.
In Germany every university is autonomous. Every university has its own set of criteria for admitting students. So pls check univ website.
As you apply for Master’s degree 16yrs of education is compulsory as eligibility criteria.
There are two intakes:
- March (Summer)
- This is the small intake
- October (Winter)
- Main intake
As an international student you are permitted to work for up to 120 full days or 240 half days in a year. This will help you in getting a bit of extra pocket money!
After completing your degree you can stay on in the country for up to 18 months to look for a job that is in keeping with your education.
“The German Academic Exchange Service” is the world’s largest funding organization for the international students and researchers. The DAAD brochures available at www.daad.de , provide in depth information about studying and living in Germany. The DAAD is a joint association of German higher education institutions and their student bodies.
The core task of uni-assist is the evaluation of international products. Uni-assist checks whether the submitted certificates are equivalent to German education or degrees and generally entitle the holder to study in Germany. UNI-ASSIST is a body that accepts your applications, screens it and forwards it to its member universities of your choice against payment.
In Germany education is subsidized by the state and therefore most of the institutions of higher education charge no or very little tuition fee- to the tune of 500 € per semester. Thus in Germany virtually every student gets a scholarship. For certain special courses you may need to pay higher fees.
Apart from tuition fees, if any, you will require about € 740 (approx.rs 45000) per month for housing, food, clothing, study material and other expenses such as health insurance and leisure activities. This amount can vary from every city and lifestyle.
For more personalized information and opportunities abroad