Masters in MIS in the USA: Top Colleges, Eligibility, Job opportunity
MS in Management Information Systems in the USA is a degree with the objective of meeting the requirements of the market for expertise in management and information technology. MIS professionals are the “communication bridge” between business needs and technology. This means that you will have to understand how to figure out how things work, solve problems, communicate what you found, and learn a lot of new things on a regular basis. It’s a dynamic field, and it takes dynamic people to do well in it. People who can think fast, work hard, and balance a lot of things should think about MIS.
The Master in Management Information systems (MIS) is usually available in leading B-Schools and universities in the USA. These courses typically cover 1-2 years, with 33 credit hours needed for coursework. To pursue MIS in the USA, international students should have undergraduate degrees from identified universities. Tuition fees usually range between $14,000-50,000 or INR 8.3-29.75 lakhs per year. The average MS in MIS in USA salary stands at $60,000 per year or INR 35.71 lakhs.
Why MS in MIS in the USA?
Here are some of the major reasons that make studying MIS in the USA:
- The USA is known for its expertise in MIS, 150 colleges in the USA offer both Bachelor’s and Master’s courses in the subject.
- MIS is an extremely popular specialization today, especially amongst those majoring in computer science.
- Even at the entry level, MIS graduates can expect a high salary in the United States.
- There is ample scope for research and experimentation in the discipline as well.
Best universities for MIS in the USA
List of top 10 universities offering MIS programs in the USA
- University of California Berkeley
- Carnegie Mellon University
- University of Washington, Seattle
- University of Maryland
- Texas A&M University
- Arizona State University
- The University of Arizona
- University at Buffalo
- University of Houston
- BYU Marriott School of Business
Top job profiles under MIS
MIS is an integrative field. MIS deals with control, coordination, decision-making, and data analysis within any company or organization. The study and, analysis of management information systems cover tasks like testing procedures and technologies within the organizational framework. Here’s only a sample of the kinds of MIS jobs.
- Business Analyst
- Business Application Developer
- IT Consultant
- Systems Analyst
- IT Development Project Leader
- Database Administrator
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Systems Developer
- Database Analyst
- Web Developer
- Network Administrator
- Technical Support Specialist
- Information Systems Manager
- IT User Liaison
Does MIS Come Under STEM?
The MIS (Management Information Systems) course has already classification as a STEM course in many institutions. It helps in building a long-term foundation for business growth and success. The MIS curriculum draws its base from globally approved recommendations. This makes it a designated STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).
GRE test scores are usually accepted for admissions into MBA programs in the USA. Some universities also accept GMAT scores for admission. Hence, if you have your GMAT results in your hand, you can apply to some institutions for the Management Information Systems program. Some schools and colleges accept both GMAT and GRE. Make sure you check the admission requirements carefully before submitting your application.
Requirements for MS in MIS in the USA
Here are some requirements that MIS applicants should keep in mind:
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree in business or IT-related field.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale. The percentile equivalent is 83-86%, while B is the grade equivalent.
- A good GRE score is usually 300 (minimum), while it is 550 for the GMAT.
- Specific IELTS and TOEFL scores are needed for those coming from non-English speaking countries. A good TOEFL score is usually between 78 and 100, while a good IELTS score is between 6.0 and 7.0.
- Work experience may be needed in some universities.
As we have come to understand, the study of Management Information systems (MIS) examines people and technology in an organizational context. Prepare students for challenging careers involving the design, analysis, implementation, and operation of computer-based information systems. Please feel free to contact Education Street if you have any questions.
If you are looking forward to Studying Management Information systems (MIS), take advantage of our Free Profile evaluation can give you an idea of your strengths & weaknesses.